To supplement classroom instruction and enhance campus life, Shorter College provides students with the opportunity to participate in a variety of student organizations to expand their experiences and acquire leadership skills. Through these co-curricular activities, students can develop leadership, communication, inter-personal, and management skills. Student organization members also have the opportunity to network with other students, faculty, and interdependence, more appropriate educational plans, mature career plans, and better decision making.
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
All Shorter College students are members of the Student Government Association, through which they participate in decision-making processes related to student life. The student body elects officers. Special student activities are organized through the Student Government Association, of which every student is a member. See appendices for SGA Constitution and By-laws.
PBL (Phi Beta Lambda)
Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda, Inc. (FBLA-PBL) is the largest career student organization in the world. Each year, FBLA-PBL helps over 250,000 members prepare for careers in business. FBLA-PBL’s mission is to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs.
FBLA-PBL’s programs focus on:
- Leadership Development—members develop essential soft skills by holding chapter officer positions at the local, state, and national levels; by networking with accomplished business professionals; and by participating in business-focused workshops, seminars, and academic competitions.
- Academic Competitions—members demonstrate their business expertise at high-profile regional, state, and national competitive events. The top students are recognized with trophies and cash awards. Learn more about FBLA, PBL, and FBLA-Middle Level competitive events.
- Educational Programs—members create career portfolios, enhance their knowledge with world-recognized skills certifications, and have access to select college scholarships. Learn more about educational programs for FBLA, PBL, and FBLA-Middle Level.
- Membership Benefits—members receive exclusive discounts and enhanced benefits for travel, education, and more. Learn about the benefits available to FBLA, PBL, and FBLA-Middle Level members.
- Community Service—members work with the March of Dimes to help end premature births by participating in awareness campaigns and the March for Babies fundraiser. Discover how FBLA, PBL, and FBLA-Middle Level members support the March of Dimes.
- Awards & Recognition—members build a portfolio of accomplishments with a wide range of awards programs. Learn more about FBLA, PBL, and FBLA-Middle Level awards programs.
BMI (Black Male Initiative)
The Shorter College Black Male Initiative (BMI) provides a three-tier learning experience for male students of color that focuses on mental, physical, and social well-being, and career and leadership development.
National Association of Black Men United (NABMU) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization solely focused on helping black men graduate from college. It is our desire that you will join us in this effort and support black men and women seeking a college degree. We provide black men and women with the tools, resources and services needed to increase their college graduation rates with an aim of improving academic and economic advancements within the African-American community.
The Shorter College chapter was chartered on February 27, 2014 by Jason Smedley, inducting twelve students into NABMU. Since then, it has been a visible and viable organization on campus. The Shorter College provides workshops, groups sessions, and other programs that assist the students in ways to retain them in college. The shorter College chapter has participated on the chapter and state-wide level in learning how to help their peers to succeed in school, and graduate.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS CLUB
The Shorter College Health and Wellness Club is a Shorter College Student encompassed club in collaboration with the Vines Heath & Wellness Center. A new club that will be initiated during spring 2017 semester; this club strives to advance the overall health and wellness of the student body, staff and faculty. Through comprehensive, motivational and educational initiatives, our goal is to create a legacy of good health and quality of life in the name of Shorter College.