Mission, Vision & Objectives
The Mission of Shorter College is to provide accessible, affordable and high-quality education for students to accomplish their academic goals by offering programs that meet the learner’s needs in a challenging and nurturing Christian environment.
The vision of Shorter College is to remain a fully accredited two-year institution and to achieve distinction as a residential Christian College that excels in providing a challenging teacher-learner environment that will create a holistic transformative individual which embodies the four C’s:
- Competency – The ability to perform in today’s society
- Character – To ability to develop a lifestyle of integrity
- Citizenship – The ability to embrace social and civic responsibility
- Culture – The ability to understand and operate in a diverse environment
GOAL 1: ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE:
Enrich academic instructional programs and student services to equip students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to become scholastically and professionally productive in today’s global society.
GOAL 2: STUDENT SERVICES:
Improve student support services that will enrich career goals, academic and co-curricular experiences.
GOAL 3: INSTITUTIONAL ADVANCEMENT AND PARTNERSHIPS:
Increase the level of external outreach in order to expand opportunities for working with other educational institutions, alumni, foundations, government agencies and business partners in ways that increase potential sources of funding and produce associations for mutual benefit.
GOAL 4: OPERATIONAL & RESOURCE ENHANCEMENT
Advance the institutional and environmental resources by further streamlining the college’s operations where efficiencies can be gained, making optimal use of prior investments in systems, re-aligning infrastructure with evolving needs, securing protected information, and minimizing waste attributable to technology use.
GOAL 5: STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND RECRUITMENT
Increase student enrollment and refine student recruitment strategies to recruit and retain a diverse student population.
The objectives Shorter College seeks:
1. To instill within each student the realization that God is the supreme center of all reality, and that academic and life-purpose is ultimately realized only through obedience to the revealed Will of God.
2. To provide the basic communication skills and general education needed to stimulate intellectual curiosity and a continuous search for knowledge.
3. To provide both certificate and associate degree programs that prepare students for further study or opportunities for work in the job market.
4. To serve as a center to transmit and preserve African-American heritage and culture.
5. To graduate students who think carefully and logically about and express with clarity their observations, experiences, and findings concerning the world in which they live, both in writing and verbally.
6. To graduate students who exhibit competency in their disciplines, character in their work with others, and compassion toward all people consistent with an education in a Christian environment.
7. To provide knowledge and basic computer skills needed to be technologically competitive.
8. To provide an opportunity for under-performing students to overcome educational deficiencies.